Barnard College Manager, Academic Affairs in New York, New York
Reporting to the Associate Provost, the Manager, Academic Affairs has responsibility for managing independent projects as well as providing a wide range of faculty and administrative support to the Office of the Provost.
Position Summary Information
Essential Duties Summary
- Provide consistent administrative and technical support for the Committee on Instruction (COI) and the COI Sub-Committee for Student Appeals, including scheduling, setting work-flow priorities, creating agendas, publishing minutes, corresponding with faculty, archiving material, and providing data analysis. Compile COI Reports for the Faculty Meetings and manage time effectively. Work closely with faculty, the Registrar, and the Associate Provost on decision-making, contributing ideas and identifying possible solutions to enhance internal processes and operational efficiency.
- Direct independently the course evaluations process, ensuring that courses are assigned the correct evaluations surveys and that the correct instructors and teaching assistants are being evaluated and receiving their evaluation reports. Train and manage all department assistants throughout this process, and assist both department assistants and faculty with Google Sheets and the CourseWorks and Canvas online course systems. Work in partnership with IMATS, as well as Columbia’s CourseWorks team and CUIT, to ensure that technical systems are accurately representing specific evaluation needs of academic departments.
- Manage independently, update, and maintain online CourseLeaf course catalogue for all academic departments. Serve as the director of the catalogue, corresponding with all other catalogue/bulletin directors in the Columbia schools consortium and acting as the Barnard spokesperson when identifying complex consortium-wide changes to the catalogue and problem solving with the CourseLeaf support team.
- Employ technical skills and curricular knowledge to independently direct and manage implementation, maintenance, and use of the Course Inventory Management (CIM) system. Work directly with BCIT, CUIT, and Columbia College’s Office of Academic Planning and Administration to ensure that online CIM forms work properly (as needed for the Committee on Instruction) and travel through workflow appropriately. Write concise, clear descriptions of system issues when necessary. Train department assistants, faculty, Department Chairs and Program Directors, and COI members in the uses of CIM, and assist and trouble-shoot when necessary.
- Manage annual Academic Program Reviews (APR). Compile and maintain accurate records, assemble necessary data, distribute agendas, organize logistics, archive material, and maintain financial and transactional records. Responsible for complex coordination, technical, and administrative support for all key personnel involved in APR including the President, Provost, Associate Provost, Director of Institutional Research and Assessment, Department Chair and Program Director, Department Assistant, Internal APR Faculty Reviewer, and External APR Visiting Team.
- Maintain the College’s Inventory of Registered programs with the New York State Education Department, submitting and tracking new program and program change requests as necessary
- Assist with the monthly payroll process, working as part of a team; help organize and process faculty and adjunct action forms and contribute to ensuring payroll data accuracy. Contribute ideas on improving payroll processes for greater efficiency.
- Analyze adjunct payroll and teaching records, working as part of a team, and independently prepare other special projects such as the annual report for use by the Associate Provost for Budget and Planning, and associated department with implementation of the Barnard Contingent Faculty.
- Liaise with Communications and work independently on faculty-related web-based pieces. Coordinate timely protocol, contribute to collaborative processes, communicate with faculty, and write pieces for Faculty News postings. Coordinate with the Associate Provost and designated Communications staff where necessary.
- Manage, update, and maintain Provost’s Office website. Expand duties on occasion to full Barnard website; problem solve and consult with Communications on any faculty or curriculum-related website updates.
- Work with the Provost to manage, update, and maintain the Faculty Handbook, ensuring that substantive changes are provided for and approved by the appropriate faculty committees and Office of the General Counsel.
- Manage, update, and maintain faculty content on the myBarnard portal.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Demonstrated attention to detail and commitment to maintaining accuracy in working with complex quantitative information and large databases
Ability to work independently and efficiently in a fast-paced environment
Excellent organizational skills; ability to handle multiple complex tasks simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines
Excellent verbal, math, and writing skills
Excellent computer skills and ability to acquire new skills as the job requires, including Microsoft Office Suite, FileMaker, WebAdvisor, and Colleague (Datatel)
Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively with faculty, administration, and students, to maintain confidentiality when required, and to exercise tact and discretion
Required Qualification Summary
1-3 years relevant experience
Preferred Qualification Summary
- Experience in a higher education or nonprofit setting
Posting Detail Information
Barnard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Barnard does not discriminate due to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis, and to the extent permitted by law. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.
Position Title: Manager, Academic Affairs
Type of Position: Administrative
Department: Provost's Office
Reports to Title: Associate Provost
Full or Part Time: Full Time
Number Of Months: 12 months/year
Posting Number: 2018 -01100- AS
Open Date: 04/05/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes