NYU Hospitals Center Hospital Concierge in New York, New York
NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children’s hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Hospital Concierge.
In this role, the successful candidate supports the patient care activities of the nursing unit through maintenance of patient records, supplies, and the environment; coordinates activities with unit staff and other departments; demonstrates clear, concise, accurate and timely communications with members of the health care team, patients, families and visitors. Performs service functions including, but not limited to answering telephone and paging as needed. Works under direct supervision; incorporates NYULMC Core Values in all aspects of job performance.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organization’s Core Values and incorporates them into the performance of responsibilities.
- Reports to and maintains communications with nurse manager, nursing leadership or charge nurse.
- Utilizes hospital communications email devices appropriately, i.e., computer work stations, phone system, and paging system.
- Responds immediately as directed to potential and actual emergency situations.
- Maintains the confidentiality and demonstrates respect for patient confidentiality, privacy, dignity, and rights.
- Demonstrates excellent and effective customer service skills.
- Completes annual mandatory education requirements for patient unit clerks.
- Assists in the orientation of new PUAs.
- Assists in data entry every 4 hours for staffing and daily census data collection (NASH).
- Demonstrates accountability for supplies, equipment, and environmental support.
- Facilitates communication among unit staff, patients, families, visitors and members of the health care team. Presents a positive image at all times while providing information and/or forwarding inquiries to appropriate staff.
- Maintains the flow of computerized and paper documents. Ensures all forms and documents are organized.
- Demonstrates culture competency in interpersonal behaviors. Demonstrates an awareness of the needs and behaviors of specific patient age groups.
- Greets patients upon arrival to unit using excellent customer service skills and appropriate verbal and written techniques when obtaining or conveying information to patients, physicians, nurses, or ancillary staff. Utilizes applicable computer systems. Effectively communicates information to patients, caregivers and other departments.
- Arrives patient to the unit and verifies patient identity using three of four identifiers (name, DOB, address and SS #) with date and time of admission.
- Verifies patient identity using the Patient Secure Palm scanner, Epic photograph and the Patient Secure database.
- Ensures that the patient right hand is always scanned unless there is a permanent physical limitation (ex amputation or arthritis), the left palm may be used in such cases.
- Ensures that any limitations are documented in the record following Patient Secure and Epic protocol.
- Defers enrollment for temporary conditions such as cast or dressing on right hand until the condition is resolved
- Verifies the accuracy of identifiers by asking the patient to spell their name and tell you their date of birth.
- Secures wristband on the patient’s arm once accuracy of identity has been verified.
- Anticipates and manages the needs of patients, families, and visitors related to the Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital’s visitor access system.
- Escorts patient to assigned room and notify Patient Access of admission to unit and the need to complete insurance and billing information.
- Validates parking tickets for patients.
- Receives packages, mail, flowers and arranges for their prompt delivery.
- Assists in the collection of data for the unit’s Quality and Performance Improvement Program including Patient Satisfaction and other measures.
- Triages telephone calls from patients that are truly of an emergency nature. Identifies a true emergency and responds in a timely manner. Prints unit lists and forwards them to the correct area.
- Arranges assistance for those patients who require support upon entering the unit. Works with patients or caregivers to arrange assistance in a timely manner and is aware of individuals coming in and out of the unit to arrange assistance when needed or requested. Answers telephone calls, triaging emergencies, and transferring calls to appropriate parties. Answers calls within a timely manner. Quickly responds to requests and uses excellent customer service skills when answering calls and responding to callers.
- Supports the patient care activities on the nursing unit by maintaining unit orderliness, adequacy of supplies and other resources necessary for patient flow.
- Completes discharges, transfers and expirations into the electronic medical record (EMR=ICIS) in a timely, accurate manner.
- Assists in maintaining a safe environment for patients and staff by screening for unauthorized individuals and notifying the appropriate personnel.
- Supports patients and families in the use of MyWall.
- High school diploma or the equivalent.
- Computer literacy including but not limited to keyboard facility, data entry, knowledge of email, use of hospital intranet, multiple telephone line experience and etiquette.
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills, effective communication skills both in person and on the telephone, and creative problem solving.
- Clerical, customer service, communications-related experience desirable.
- Experience working in the Hotel/Hospital industry.
- English as primary language; other languages desirable.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.