NYU Hospitals Center Cook's Helper in New York, New York
NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children’s hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Cook’s Helper.
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for performing simple food preparation as necessary or requested. Under direct direction performs work of minimal difficulty in assisting cooks with various cooking operations.
- Prepares cold foods, sandwiches and cold plates as well as simple breakfast foods. Sets up assigned work area by collecting and assembling food and supplies needed to complete duties. Sets up and prepares equipment for use in food production. Follows proper procedures in accordance with the standardized recipe cards and the supervisors instructions to produce a uniform product. Demonstrates knowledge of patient dietary restrictions and implements procedures to insure Satisfaction of such. Garnishes the food properly.
- Utilizes all types of kitchen equipment to prepare food. Demonstrates knowledge in the care and use of the following equipment: ovens, griddles, deep-fat fryers, slicers and choppers, steamers, steam kettles, mixers, and miscellaneous small equipment such as knives, paddles, whips, etc. Uses the appropriate equipment for the proper preparation and service of food.
- Follows established departmental sanitation standards. Follows HACCP, code compliance, and all food safety standards. Applies correct sanitary procedures in the preparation and storage of all food items. Utilizes sanitizers and cleaning chemicals properly and regularly to clean work area. Follows the practice of clean as you go. Performs all functions of sanitation in the assigned work area and production area as needed. Practices proper hand washing and sanitary techniques according to departmental procedures. Insures all food items are properly labeled and dated.
- Attends meetings and in-services for food production employees. Assures management of attendance at meetings and in services by signing attendance sheet. Knowledgeable, awares and understands material and instructions given.
- Maintains open communication and good relationships with others. Interacts and communicates with staff, patients, their families and visitors in a courteous, professional and positive manner. Listens carefully to others in order to respond appropriately, answer questions, or obtain needed information. Communicates ideas, problems, suggestions, and messages in a timely and effective manner. Demonstrates the ability to work well with all levels of staff. Works at establishing a good rapport and professional working relationship with all departmental personnel; maintains appropriate interdepartmental communications.
- Uses good judgment and consults supervisor when necessary. Consults with supervisor on matters of uncertainty. Demonstrates good judgment by following verbal and written instructions carefully. Advised supervisor of problems requiring follow-up attention.
- Provides assistance and contributes new ideas to the department. Volunteers assistance to others. Seeks additional assignments when work is completed. Demonstrates an ability to learn and adapt to changes in hospital functions, management style or routines.
- Plans work assignments accordantly and utilizes time effectively. Completes assignments within allotted time frames. Adjusts well to changes in work schedule, work flow and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to give and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Minimum of three years of cooking experience in a health care institution or commercial establishment with a large volume food service.
- Knowledgeable in portion control and forecasting procedures.
- High School Diploma or the equivalent.
- Culinary degree Preferred.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.