Good Shepherd Services Social Worker - Transitions in Brooklyn, New York
Good Shepherd Services is a leading multi-service agency with more than 85 programs that serve over 30,000 youth and families each year – and builds on their strengths to help them gain skills for success. At Good Shepherd we respect the dignity and worth of every person and reject intolerance, inequity and injustice in whatever form it may take. Voted one of the top 100 places to work in NYC by Crain’s New York, Good Shepherd Services offers a fantastic work environment, a collaborative team dedicated to fulfilling our mission, and an amazing array of benefits. Join our team and help make a difference!
Are you looking to make a difference in a child’s life? Do you love helping people reach their full potential? Do you want to feel good about the job you are doing? If you answered yes to all these questions then we want you to join our team! We are looking for a dynamic and compassionate Social Worker to provide intensive, strength-based, home-based, comprehensive services to families whose children are at risk of foster care placement due to chemical dependency and/or mental health concerns.
Reports To: Social Work Supervisor, Transitions
Location: 503 Fifth Avenue, 4th Fl, Brooklyn, New York 11215
Hours:35 Hours/Week; Exempt
• Conduct assessments of children and families referred by NYC Children’s Services, schools, other service providers, and those who come in voluntarily seeking service.s
• Provide home-based and on-site individual, family, and group counseling, as well as short-term crisis intervention including advocacy and outreach for designated caseload and emergencies.
• Facilitate referrals to alcohol, substance abuse, and mental health treatment facilities and other service providers including escorts to appointments as needed.
• Implement and integrate the principles and procedures of Solution-Based Casework (SBC): assessment, family and individual level outcomes, action plans and documentation and celebration.
• Actively participate in case consultation, continued SBC training, and the SBC certification process.
• Plan, coordinate and implement groups and social activities for children, parents, and families.
• Facilitate and coordinate appropriate Family Team Conferences and Elevated Risk Conferences using approved conferencing protocols.
• Prepare and maintain FASP documentation, appropriate statistical reports and casework and group work summaries as needed.
• Maintain appropriate utilization of State and City child welfare databases (Connections, PROMIS), as well as agency databases.
• Attend and participate in regular program staff meetings, as well as related agency and external trainings as needed and appropriate
• Provide consultation to Family Worker as needed.
• Master’s degree in Social Work preferred; other related fields will be considered.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
• Willingness to work with families and children impacted by chemical dependency and/or mental illness.
• Must be able to work one evening per week until 8:00 p.m.
• Excellent organizational, written, and communication skills.
• Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and youth and family development perspective.
All staff is expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Good Shepherd Services, which includes involvement in quality improvement activities and a willingness and ability to work within a culturally diverse environment.
Good Shepherd Services is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, participants, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors. We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.
Job Title: Social Worker - Transitions
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 03/12/2018
Requisition ID: 2683