Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens SOCIAL WORKER II in Queens (Jamaica), New York
The Social Worker II is responsible for providing case management services to frail, homebound older adults, who have become unable to maintain daily living activities, making it possible for them to remain in their own homes. The Social Worker will be assigned clients with more complex needs, including some APS clients.
* Provide a comprehensive in-home assessment and reassessment of the older person’s current functional and cognitive capacities and limitations, unmet needs, and eligibility for benefits and entitlements.
* Develop and implement a care plan with the senior and/or his/her family, when needed, to address the client’s unmet needs in order to assist him/her to continue to live safely in his/her own home.
* Ensure that referrals are made and follow up is done to appropriate services.
* Provide crisis intervention services, when needed, for situations such as medical emergencies, utility shut-offs, bedbug infestations, and disaster response.
* Provide emergency coverage for Home Delivered Meal clients, when the client fails to answer the door, when needed.
* Participate in case reviews and QA activities to ensure appropriate clinical strategy for more complicated cases.
* Perform intake activities, which include assessing eligibility, preliminary evaluation of the presenting problem, initiating services as needed and providing information and referral services.
* Complete a comprehensive DFTA assessment form for each client on a timely basis and according to funding source regulations.
* Advocate and apply for services and benefits for those whose needs are not being met. Develop program resources and referral network.
* Maintain up-to-date: case notes, waiting lists for clients on caseload, and the timely submission of monthly statistics and reports as required by the agency and the funding source.
* Utilize supervisors, coworkers and interdisciplinary team to enhance knowledge basis and skill level.
* Attend trainings, including yearly training hours required by DFTA and other agency trainings/meetings.
* Utilize the Peer Place data system for client information and screen for benefits with UNIFORM system.
* Represent the client at Fair Hearings when the client or his family is unable to do so.
* Coordinate services such as Meals on Wheels, Personal Care or Intake.
* Coordinate and train other program staff on benefits or entitlements, when requested.
* Convene community groups and service provider meetings at program.
* Represent agency at community advocacy and meetings.
* Assist in outreach efforts.
* May supervise social work students.
* Master of Social Work Degree from an accredited college or university.
* One year of experience in human services field.
* Accredited with Supervision in Field Instruction within 6 months of employment.
* Knowledge of entitlements for older adults.
* Capable of assisting with more complex client issues.
* Able to handle a crisis.
* Good verbal and written command of the English Language.
* Proficient in computer software applications, Excel and Microsoft Office.
* Within 6 months of hire date, able to learn the DFTA client software system for data entry of client files.
* Good time management, organizational and interpersonal skills.
* Able to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and office equipment.
* Able to climb stairs and make home visits.
* Able to sit and work on the computer for long periods of time.
* Frequent sitting, standing, and walking.
* Able to stretch and bend to retrieve files.
* Occasional climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling and crouching.
* Ability to lift up to 10lbs.
* Ability to read printed and handwritten materials.
* Ability to read computer screens.
* Able to travel to client’s homes, meetings, conferences and other locations for trainings and meetings.