Bloomberg Senior Backend Engineer: Bloomberg Vault in New York, New York
Job Requisition Number: 59076
You've seen the headlines. Financial firms are fined millions of dollars when just one employee does something they shouldn't. It can be as serious as insider trading or as seemingly innocent as an inappropriate instant message. Keeping track of who is saying, doing, and trading what is a pretty daunting task for compliance officers, especially with the explosion in the volume and variety of data produced by communications platforms.
Nearly 1,000 organizations use Bloomberg Vault to manage, archive, and search a broad range of enterprise communications and collaboration data, including email, instant message (IM), mobile, files and documents, voice data and social media. Our multi-tenant cloud processes 300 million messages daily and stores about 90 billion archived objects. As a senior member on Bloomberg Vault's Search & Storage team, you'll contribute to one or more of our infrastructure initiatives. These include a private large scale object store, Solr infrastructure for search, and a core distributed systems platform as-a-service (Paas).
We'll trust you to:
- Take ownership of business requirements and devise and develop solutions that meet customer needs. Time to market is critical.
- Help us build a best-in-class back end systems that powers the applications in Bloomberg Vault
- Build core distributed systems that empower our users and accelerates the pace of application development
- Work independently to find a path to success by researching and recommending alternatives when faced with challenging situations
You’ll need to have:
- A BS/BA in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or comparable experience
- 2+ years of experience with C++, Java or Scala and the ability to pick up new languages quickly
- Excellent problem solving and multi-tasking skills with a creative and flexible attitude
- Experience building large scale distributed systems
We’d love to see:
- Experience with Apache Mesos, Kafka, HDFS, Spark and related big data technologies
- Experience with distributed NoSQL storage systems such as Cassandra, HBase, Accumulo
- Experience with Amazon AWS services (specifically S3, EMR, RDS and EC2) We’re looking to build something very similar but these off-the-shelf products don’t meet our unique requirements
- Experience working with data distributed across large data storage clusters
If this sounds like you, apply! You can also check out our talks at MesosCon and Accumulo summit using the links below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w8PXklrC5I (Mesos at Bloomberg - MesosCon 2015)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OahXeQhNPY (A Seamless Monitoring System for Apache Mesos Clusters)
http://accumulosummit.com/program/talks/an-accumulo-connector-for-presto/ (An Accumulo Connector for Presto: ANSI-SQL for your NoSQL Data Sets )