Albert Einstein College Research Nurse (Per-Diem) in New York, New York
Founded in 1955, the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Einstein) is one of the nation’s premier institutions for medical education, basic research and clinical investigation. A full-time faculty of some 2,000 conducts research, teaches, and delivers health care in every major biomedical specialty. The college has some 730 medical students, 193 Ph.D. students, 106 MD/Ph.D. students and 275 postdoctoral fellows.
Einstein’s major strength, in addition to training physicians and scientists, is its science. During fiscal year 2015, the faculty’s consistently high level of scientific achievement resulted in the awarding of more than $150 million in peer-reviewed grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Einstein is part of Montefiore Medicine Academic Health System, an integrated academic delivery system comprising seven campuses, including 8 hospitals, a multi-county ambulatory network, a new state-of-the art “hospital without beds”, a skilled nursing facility, school of nursing, home health agency, and the state’s first freestanding emergency department. As the University Hospital for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore is a premier academic health system, employing Einstein’s clinical faculty and training Einstein’s medical students, over 1,300 residents, 420 allied health students, and 1,600 nursing students annually.
The Albert Einstein College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Einstein seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.
The Einstein-Montefiore Institute for Cinical and Translational Research (ICTR) mission is to enhance the discipline of clinical and translational research by promoting multidisciplinary collaboration, addressing translational “blocks” in research, providing infrastructure and collaborative support, and enhancing training, education, and career development to the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore Medical Center communities. As part of the ICTR, the Clinical Investigation Services Core includes two Clinical Research Units, one located on the East (Einstein) Campus that is primarily for adult services, and one located on the West (Montefiore) Campus that is primarily for pediatric services. In addition, a Translational Research Unit is located in the Weiler Division Hospital of Montefiore Medical Center for higher-acuity research studies requiring more intensive services.
The position is a Per Diem Research Nurse for the Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR) with assignments as needed to the outpatient research units located in the Albert Einstein College of Medicine’s Forchheimer Building, Room G47, Weiler Hospital Study Suite, the Moses Research Tower at Montefiore Medical Center, MRT 4th floor, or other locations at Einstein or Montefiore (out-patient or in-patient) that require assistance with research studies. The nurse will work with ICTR staff, Principal Investigators and Research Teams to provide direct subject care and facilitate the implementation of specific and multidisciplinary research protocols. The nurse will plan, implement, evaluate and document individualized care based on subject assessment and protocol-specific criteria. The nurse will also contribute to clinical research records, subject intake, scheduling of subjects. The nurse is expected to establish and maintain effective communication with professional and ancillary personnel, and to demonstrate a high degree of self-motivation and independence.
Tasks or Responsibilities to be performed:
- Interfacing with P.I.s and Research Study teams to assist in completing protocols.
- Ensuring that proper Signed Informed Consent is present and maintained in subject chart.
- Perform and document quality control checks as necessary.
- Placement and maintenance of Intravenous catheters and phlebotomy.
- Biosample collection (blood, urine, sputum, stool, wound, CSF, etc.)
- Administration of investigational medications as needed per protocol.
- Performance of EKGs.
- Use of glucometer and may be trained to perform semi-automated (e.g. glucose at the bedside) assays.
- Administration of I.V. infusions together with nursing staff, Investigators and study teams.
- Ensure that clinical research records are available and appropriate for protocols.
- Execute appropriate documentation of nursing care (electronic or hand written).
- Maintain and stock the study suite and outpatient exam rooms.
- Assist in arranging and scheduling outpatient visits.
Tasks in which s/he may participate:
- S/he may participate in the design and implementation of studies.
- Depending on the nature of the protocol, the needs of the PI and the ICTR leadership, s/he may provide informed consent, survey completion, adverse event reporting, and data collection for studies.
- S/he will be expected to learn the use of electronic registration, scheduling and record-keeping systems, as well as electronic protocol application tracking systems, and other systems as required.
- Performs other job-related functions as assigned.
- The per diem nurse will work under the supervision of and report directly to the ICTR Director or Associate Director.
- The per diem nurse will be expected to also report to the project Principal Investigator (PI) any and all adverse events/problems with the performance of research protocols.
- The per diem nurse will be expected to work together with the ICTR staff and administration to ensure smooth daily interaction.
Bachelor’s degree in Nursing
Minimum of 1 year nursing experience
Research subject intake/enrollment
Placement of intravenous catheters and performance of blood sampling
Routine vital sign monitoring, patient care and medical records entry
Above-average communication & interpersonal skills
Highly motivated and detail oriented
Basic computer skills
NYS nursing license
Preferred, but not required:
Experience in a research setting and/or critical care setting
Pediatric Nursing experience
Familiarity with database utilization
Familiarity with regulatory, compliance, Good Clinical Practice and Human Subjects Protections issues
Job ID: 2017-10498
Campus: Einstein/Resnick - Bronx
Posting Date: 8/11/2017
Employee Classification: Temporary and/or Hourly
Department: Institute for Clinical and Translational Research
Position Type: Hourly