NYU Hospitals Center Medical Secretary in New York, New York
NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children’s hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institutedesignated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Medical Secretary. In this role, the successful candidate under the general direction of the Administrative Manager and the FGP Office Supervisor, the secretary is responsible for providing basic support services for Multiple Sclerosis Comprehensive Care Center (MSCCC) clinical operations
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Maintains supplies and cleanliness of space, restocks supplies as needed. Notifies supervisor of any shortage of supplies.
- Maintains and receives files for area. Maintains files in organized and up-to-date manner in order to facilitate their retrieval. Completes filing in accordance with departmental procedures. Sorts and distributes documents and forms for area section. Distributes materials according to content of communications and departmental procedures. Logs in materials with respect to time and data when applicable. Processes incoming and outgoing documents. Completes forms neatly. Secures appropriate signatures and forwards documents/forms to correct destination based on pertinent Medical Center procedures. Maintains copy for files. Faxes documents in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Types routine material such as forms and letters, envelopes, etc. Types materials neatly, accurately and according to instructions. Writes materials clearly and legibly.
- Handles stressful situations with little or no supervision; functions as a respectful member of the health care team.
- Maintains confidentiality on matters to which they are privileged.
- Answers patient questions to ensure understanding and patient satisfaction.
- Maintains cooperative and professional relationships with physicians, nurses and office and clinical staff.
- Schedules new patient and follow-up appointments.
- Greets and screens telephone calls in pleasant and a professional manner; handles call or directs caller to appropriate person or area. Takes messages and transfers calls appropriately.
To qualify you must have a High School Diploma and one year of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Basic knowledge of various health insurance types and processes, payers and medical terminology. Excellent organizational, interpersonal and verbal and written communications skills and strong customer service orientation required. Basic knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, database and Internet applications required. Light, accurate keyboarding skills required. Ability to complete multiple tasks efficiently and thrive in a team work environment
Prior experience with insurance pre-authorization and certification process and scheduling in a medical office environment and intermediate knowledge of computer-based scheduling and appointment programs strongly preferred
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.