Cigna IM Software Engineer Sr Spec in New York, New York
Cigna, a leading Health Services company, is looking for exceptional engineers in the Big Data Analytics space to join our Information Management organization. In this role, you will help deliver the vision of a Data Lake coupled with the new concept of a Big Data Hub as part of Cigna’s Big Data Analytics team. You will also help to grow an integrated architectural strategy to support next-generation reporting and analytics capabilities on an enterprise-wide scale. These analytics functions will include Consumer Analytics, Clinical Analytics, Healthcare Economics, and other areas.
Optimally you’re a Pythonista with significant Big Data experience, but if you’ve only got one, we’re still interested. If you’re a Python whiz with an interest in Big Data or a Hadoop ninja open to learning Python, you can still apply.
The ideal candidate will work in a team that demands technical excellence, whose members are expected to hold each other accountable for the overall success of the end product. Focus for this team is on the delivery of innovative solutions to complex problems, but also with a mind to drive simplicity in refining and supporting of the solution by others. This is not a group that deals with technology from a distance – everyone is expected to roll up their sleeves and get work on implementation.
Responsibilities with focus on Hadoop and / or Python:
- Provide technical expertise through a hands-on approach to team projects, developing solutions for Hadoop use cases.
- Help develop the web application tier and service layer in Python using Django, Pyspark and others.
- Lead and/or participate in the design, definition, planning, development, and implementation of projects conforming to Cigna’s Software Development Best Practices.
- Function as a hands-on member of the Hadoop/Big Data team.
- Maintain a deep involvement with application development and implementation processes.
Candidate should have:
- A passion for healthcare and the potential for technology to improve people’s lives
- The aptitude to deliver enterprise or customer-facing applications in a variety of scenarios
- A deep understanding of environmental constraints to implementing and deploying differing application solutions
- Proven track record of quality software development and an ability to innovate outside of traditional architecture/software patterns when needed
- A desire to collaborate in a high-performing team environment, and an ability to influence and be influenced by others
- Experience in helping distilling complex ideas into an architectural and implementation plan, and then proving it out
- The ability to critically evaluate the trade-offs and implementation impacts of emerging vs. more established technologies
Tasks and responsibilities
- Apply expertise and research designs with subject matter experts to devise requirements, design specifications, and usage criteria for Big Data solutions.
- Maintain involvement in continuous improvement of Big Data solution processes, tools and templates.
- Responsible for leading the design and maintaining solutions conformant to enterprise standards, architecture, and technologies.
- Provide oversight, direction and mentoring to ensure adherence to business direction, architectural strategies, and enterprise technology standards.
- Offer guidance on use of appropriate Big Data tools to meet project needs.
- Collaborate with developers and business users for overall design oversight on Big Data solutions
- Maintain expertise and proficiency with Big Data technologies using business intelligence best practices.
Develop a thorough knowledge and understanding of business domains, heath care analytics, and industry trends in order to develop an enterprise view of Cigna’s Big Data Analytic needs
- Bachelor’s degree required; a degree in a quantitative discipline: statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, data mining, machine learning, or some other empirical science.
- Documented experience in a business intelligence or analytic development role on a variety of large scale projects (3 years minimum)
- Expertise in Hadoop and related technologies
- Excellent Data analysis skills
- Knowledge of Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark (including pyspark), Spark streaming, Kafka, Scala, Python, MapReduce, Yarn, Hive, Oozie, SQL, Impala, HBase
- Experience with distribution vendor like Cloudera
- Good knowledge of Python
- Knowledge of Microservice Architecture is a plus
- Ability to rapidly prototype and storyboard/wireframe development as part of application design
- Comfortable in configuring and using multiple operating systems (Mac/Windows/*nix)
- Design expertise with Hadoop, Teradata, Looker, and Tableau along with Cognos tools is a plus
- Knowledge of BI tools and statisctical packages such as SAS, R or SciPy/NumPy
- Experience with disciplined software development lifecycle
- Ability to communicate at various levels within large organizations
- Knowledge of Big Data tool performance/tuning/measurement and usage criteria to drive appropriate tool selections and use
- Knowledge and/or experience with Health care information domains a plus.
- Documented experience working on advanced Big Data solutions is a plus.
- Some expertise in designing business intelligence systems, dashboard reporting, and analytical reporting is also a plus.
Primary Location: New York-New York
Work Locations: 140 East 45th Street New York 10017
Job: IT--App Dev & Management
Employee Status: Individual Contributor
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job
Job Posting: Jul 17, 2017, 2:10:29 PM