The Aspen Institute, Inc. Events Assistant- BSP in New York, New York
|Location:||New York, NY|
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute has campuses in Aspen, Colorado and on the Wye River of Maryland's Eastern Shore. It also maintains offices in New York City and has an international network of partners.
About the Aspen Institute Business & Society Program
The Aspen Institute is a nonpartisan forum for values-based leadership and the exchange of ideas. The Aspen Institute Business and Society Program, founded in 1998, works with business executives and scholars to align business decisions and investments with the long-term health of society-and the planet. Through carefully designed networks, working groups and focused dialogue, the Program identifies and inspires thought leaders and "intrapreneurs" to challenge conventional ideas about capitalism and markets, to test new measures of business success and to connect classroom theory and business practice.
Each year, Aspen BSP delivers a dozen events ranging from "one-off" book talks to conferences to multi-day convenings designed to encourage frank conversations among a small group of peers. The events offer business thinkers and leaders the opportunity to learn, to connect, and to be inspired, in service to our mission of aligning business decisions with the long-term health of society. Superb event planning and execution is critical to achieving that goal. With consummate skill and grace, the Events Assistant helps to bring our events to life and insures that each event participant has an exceptional and high-impact experience. This position will give the right candidate the chance to flex and develop their event coordination skills while gaining deep exposure to current and emerging issues in the field of corporate social innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Aspen Institute Business and Society Program (Aspen BSP) is seeking a full-time Events Assistant to support the planning and production of our events in New York City and across the country. The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to manage details and communicate with diverse stakeholders. He or she will be committed to excellence in execution and able to handle a heavy and sometimes time-sensitive workload without dropping the ball. This is a junior position that provides a unique opportunity to learn more about and support those working on the frontiers of responsible business practice.
The Events Assistant, who is based in New York City and reports to the Associate Director, is responsible for the following:
- Supporting venue selection and negotiation, including management of contracts for room blocks, reception and meeting spaces, etc.
- Coordinating participant travel and lodging/rooming
- Liaising with vendors, including catering and audio-visual companies
- Producing, managing and tracking invitations
- Preparing participant lists, nametags, tentcards, and overseeing production of on-site signage
- Coordinating audio-visual with venue, speakers, and participants
- Setting up and supporting conference calls
- On-site logistical support (may require some travel within the U.S.)
- Other general administrative tasks in support of the BSP team - including assistance with invoice preparation and tracking, credit card payment reconciliation, etc. - as required
We're seeking candidates who can work effectively with different teams, juggle multiple projects at the same time and manage details across events. A successful candidate will have:
- Experience planning and executing events
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among a diverse group of stakeholders
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence in delivery and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles
- Experience supporting multiple projects at the same time
- Relentkess attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, especially including strong written communications (including email)
- Appreciation for the central role that excellent logistical planning and execution plays in delivering high impact events for our participants.
- Familiarity with digital tools (such as Constant Contact, Concur, CRMs, Google Suite, SurveyMonkey, Wufoo, Event Brite, etc.) is a definite plus.
- Design and/or research skills are a plus
- Interest in issues of business & society
- A Bachelor's Degree
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with city, state and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter articulating your interest in the position and explaining how your capabilities and experience match our requirements.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.