Continental Casualty Company Claim Manager - Architect, Engineer, Contractor and Construction Design Liability in New York, New York
CNA is one of the premier providers of professional liability insurance. We currently have an opening for a claim manager who will be responsible for managing a team of claim professionals who handle Architect, Engineer, Contractor and Construction Design Liability claims. This person will be accountable for business results through the cost effective and timely resolution of claims. Under general management direction, this position will work within assigned limits of authority requiring a high degree of technical complexity and coordination. Our preferred locations are Chicago, the District of Columbia and New York. Other locations, however, will be considered.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Manages the work activities and staff of the functional area and has full management responsibility for the performance and development of subordinate staff in accordance with corporate strategic direction. Manages team metrics by analyzing claim reports and driving for superior results.
2. Contributes to organizational profitability by ensuring that claims are effectively managed in accordance with company guidelines and standards. Effectively manages loss costs and claim expenses.
3. Builds and maintains collaborative relationships with both internal and external business, such as underwriting, risk control, staff counsel and actuarial partners.
4. Makes recommendations on claim policy and procedures and drives claim initiatives.
5. Reviews and manages investigations of claims, liability and damages, and works with senior management to determine if major claims should be settled or litigated.
6. Manages the negotiation of claims settlement packages including setting reserves and authorizing payment or refers claims to appropriate location for adjudication.
7. Remains current on state/territory regulations and issues, industry activity and trends. May participate in industry trade groups.
8. Contributes to the development and enhancement of claim training/curriculum.
9. Leads project teams and may be accountable for special projects and presentations.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Director or above.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Ability to effectively identify, lead, coach, develop and retain talented claim professionals.
2. Ability to drive for superior results in business goals and objectives.
3. Technical expertise, claims resolution skills and knowledge of insurance and claims principles, practices and procedures.
4. Ability to effectively collaborate with CNA's internal and external business partners, possessing excellent communications, negotiations and presentations skills.
5. Advanced analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple priorities.
6. Ability to effectively deal with ambiguous situations and business issues.
7. Ability to embrace change and value diverse ideas and opinions.
8. Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
9. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designations preferred.
2. Typically a minimum eight years claims experience.
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Other Locations: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Organization: CLAIM USSPL-PSvcs
Job Posting: Aug 1, 2017
Unposting Date: Ongoing.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Employer's Job# 2b3a4b8a4acfb052b312b8bb1d9178b6
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.