Google Analytical Linguist, Speech in New York, New York
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Mountain View, CA, USA; New York, NY, USA
This position can be located in either Mountain View, New York or London.
Analytical Linguists work across Google to drive improvements in quality, classification, information structure, and natural language understanding and generation. As an Analytical Linguist you will work both on complex projects spanning multiple products, groups, and disciplines, and on tightly focused efforts to produce specific product components or answer specific research questions. Analytical Linguists work in many different areas and arrive with a wide variety of skills—your specialization might involve natural language processing and understanding, phonology, phonetics, syntax, semantics, ontology, program management, human subject research, experimental design, statistics, corpus linguistics, large scale data acquisition, or any combination. This team is part of some of the most groundbreaking and exciting work at Google. It's our goal to use insights from linguistics and related fields to constantly improve our products.
The Speech Team at Google builds technologies to turn speech to text, and text to speech. Our technology is used to enable voice-based interactions in products like Google Search, Android Wear, Android Auto, dictation, speech-to-speech translation, and more.
As a Speech Analytical Linguist, you will work with Speech engineers and researchers across distributed offices to deliver high quality data for Automatic Speech Recognition and Speech Synthesis projects. You will contribute to language models, manage teams of linguists, and propose new projects to fulfill research needs for spoken languages around the world.
One of the many reasons Google consistently brings innovative, world-changing products to market is because of the collaborative work we do in Product Management. With eyes focused squarely on the future, our team works closely with creative and prolific engineers to help design and develop technologies that improve access to the world's information. We're responsible for guiding products throughout the execution cycle, focusing specifically on analyzing, positioning, packaging, promoting and tailoring our solutions to all the markets where Google does business.
- Provide expertise on pronunciation and phonotactics
- Write grammars
- Provide linguistic analysis of spoken and written data for Speech researchers and engineers (This includes collaborating to identify appropriate research questions and data sources, as well as producing final analytic reports.)
- Design intuitive data transcription and annotation tasks to produce linguistic data for Speech research; train and manage onsite or remote workers to carry them out, establishing conventions in the process
- Analyze data pipeline and annotator workflow, implementing scheduling to optimize productivity and quality control; establish and track key performance metrics across the team
- MA/MS degree in Linguistics, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with experimental design, research methodologies and qualitative/quantitative analysis.
- Experience in operations and people management. Experience with web and media culture.
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically.
- PhD in linguistics, or equivalent practical experience.
- 2 years of experience in international project management dealing with multiple global stakeholders, delivering projects on time and to budget.
- Experience working with grammars and other forms of Speech or NLP technology. General knowledge about several language families, especially concerning phonemic inventories and phonological phenomena.
- Proficiency with scripting languages, web development, and previous experience working in a Linux environment. Specialization in phonology and good knowledge of syntax, semantics, discourse analysis, and/or corpus linguistics.
- A keen interest in how speech, mobile and online technologies are used in country. Creative thinker with strong problem-solving and analytical skills and the ability to quickly grasp technical concepts.
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills with the ability to adapt communications to an audience.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.