Barclays AVP Portal Application Developer in New York City, New York
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US.
With over 325 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 40 countries and employs approximately 130,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. Please visit our website here for more information.
About Equities Electronic Trading
The Electronic Trading group is responsible for handling algorithmic trading and smart routing orders for both internal (desk) flow and external client flow directly routed onto our platform. We work in concert with the ATS and external connectivity groups to deliver seamless solutions.
Our group supports Barclay’s Quantitative Prime Services and Electronic Trading businesses, including smart order routing, DMA, and risk monitoring. This is a key development role in our group for risk management across our stack.
· Assist in the design and development (as part of team) working on Portal, our strategic post-trade risk and market access monitoring system
· Add new functionality, work with the product team, and provide support on the existing Portal platform
· Help to bridge market access between the TRANSFORM Cash Architecture teams and the Electronic Trading technology and business teams
The Portal team is responsible for designing and implementing the next-generation post-trade risk management tool for electronic trading. Our product pulls data from low-latency DMA platforms, large position management systems and electronic trading applications and runs near-real time calculations for dozens of risk metrics. We have a Java backend calculating risk numbers in real-time and lightweight C# GUI for internal users to conduct trading surveillance and manage limits. Significant projects include capacity and performance engineering, implementing new business-driven requirements, designing a new distributed architecture and automated testing.
· Write Java code to solve business problems
· Read code and understand complex technical issues and propose solutions in the appropriate technical domain
· Work with other teams on software integration projects and to resolve issues impacting our business
· Communicate clearly on work done, clarifying upcoming priorities, document work done when appropriate. Escalate shortcomings and gaps in understanding promptly and clearly
· Adhere to best practices for software development at large and those within our team
· Investigate production issues and work with stakeholders to clarify requirements
· Strong comprehensive skills to analyze submitted code and infer issues
· Strong written and oral communications skills
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
As part of the Portal team you will work with senior software engineers to deliver solutions as our business reacts to new regulations and client requirements. This role will involve contributing code, documentation and test automation to major software releases. Due to the nature of our application, this role will expose you to trading technology and message flows and business stakeholders at Barclays who help us determine what a cutting edge post-trade risk application looks like in finance today.
Basic Qualifications :
· Four year college degree
· 5 years experience in Java, C# or C
· 3 years experience in low-latency, high-performance or big data projects
· 3 years Linux experience
Preferred Qualifications :
· Distributed systems, networking or OS programming experience
· Linux fluency
· Experience with unit & continuous integration testing, QA automation
· Experience developing risk or position monitoring systems
· Advanced database experience, e.g. kdb
· Experience in financial markets
· Experience on large projects (e.g. over 100k lines of code)
· Strong ability to work in large teams, with remote team members and stakeholders and collaboration technologies
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
Our customers deserve the best. The same goes for our employees. That's why at Barclays you'll receive a range of benefits that include a competitive salary and all the tools, technology and support you need to succeed.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. The values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our employees. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer and are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. For more detailed information, please visit our dedicated Diversity and Inclusion site here .
It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Title: AVP Portal Application Developer
Location: New York-New York City
Requisition ID: *90142604