Barclays Assistant Vice President, Legal - US Corporate Banking in New York City, New York
Barclays is an international financial services provider engaged in personal banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking and wealth management with an extensive presence in Europe, the Americas, Africa and Asia. Barclays’ purpose is to help people achieve their ambitions – in the right way.
With over 325 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 40 countries and employs approximately 130,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. Please visit our website here for more information.
About US Corporate Banking
Our dedicated teams based in New York and Miami work closely with the wider Barclays group to deliver local expertise in the UK, Europe and Africa, and provide access to a wide range of corporate banking solutions, including accounts, payments and collections, and liquidity, as well as risk management, lending and trade. The teams also work closely with our Investment Banking and Barclaycard divisions to support our clients’ success in the region and internationally.
About Barclays Global Legal
Managing Barclays' Legal risk is the fundamental responsibility of the Legal function. Our mission is 'to protect and create value for Barclays by managing legal risks and advancing opportunities', i.e. to protect and build the bank. Our role includes:
· Provision of business coverage and support, including commercial contracts, employment, intellectual property and transactional / deal support
· Oversight of regulatory relations
· Management of litigation portfolio
· Management of competition law investigations
· Regulatory strategy and policy.
Overall purpose of role
The US Corporate Bank is growing at pace and we are now seeking to add a high performer to the New York Corporate Banking Legal Team at the Assistant Vice President (AVP) level to help support this growth. The successful candidate is expected to support transactions, projects and help to develop robust governance and control environment for the bank. The role holder will help the US Corporate Bank execute its core strategy of business growth and expansion, including legal analysis on expanding into new jurisdictions, offering new products and innovation.
The role holder will be accountable for the following:
· Acting as legal advisor to the US Corporate Banking business. Seeking to ensure the business understands the requirements of the law and the Legal Principal Risk Framework. Ensuring that the businesses and transactions comply with and operate within Barclays’ policies, standards and operational frameworks.
· Structuring, documenting and closing syndicated and bilateral credit facilities, funds finance / subscription line credit facilities, trade and receivables finance and other financing transactions.
· Supporting the US Corporate Banking business with expansion, including legal analysis on new jurisdictions, new products and innovation.
· Supporting internal projects to improve processes or address legal and/or regulatory change.
· Maintaining and updating product documentation.
· Instructing legal counsel on complex matters that need to be outsourced.
· Providing legal expertise for Corporate Banking legal colleagues globally with questions relating to US law.
Stakeholder Management, Supervisory Responsibilities and Leadership
· The role holder will maintain and strengthen relationships with US and global Corporate Banking colleagues and advise the same on US legal and regulatory issue affecting Barclays’ Corporate Banking business. The role holder will provide US legal expertise for Corporate Banking legal colleagues globally.
· The role holder will develop strong relationships across the bank and with law firms , ensuring strong partnerships, collaboration and efficiencies at all times. The role holder will ensure efficient delivery and maximum value of legal services from law firms.
· The role holder will contribute to the development and implementation of team objectives and strategy.
Decision-making and Problem Solving
· The role holder will be able to operate independently and as part of a team. The role holder will escalate risks that may pose reputational, regulatory and/or legal risks to Barclays.
· The role holder will have an in depth understanding of the operations of the bank and ensure legal decisions take account of other factors important to the bank (such as cost of capital, regulatory compliance, tax, etc.).
· The role holder will add value in commercial as well as technical discussions and be instrumental in structuring, negotiating and closing transactions for the bank as well as solving complex problems creatively and effectively.
· The role holder will ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards. The role holder will assist in group wide risk management by identifying non-legal risk issues or legal risks for other teams and work across teams and business units to assist in escalation or remediation, as appropriate.
· The role holder will make legal risk management recommendations, considering Barclays’ values, the commercial objectives of Barclays and its clients.
Risk and Control Objective: All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
Your Skills and Qualifications will include:
· Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited US law school (or equivalent degree from a non-US university that is recognized by the New York State Bar) and be New York qualified.
· 3 years experience in a relevant practice area of a top-tier law firm.
· Previous in-house experience in a top-tier financial institution would be an advantage.
The ideal candidate will possess strong, organizational, interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills. The ideal candidate will have an “improvement mind set” and be confident at making recommendations to implement change that benefits internal and external stakeholders. The ideal candidate will have the ability to handle and prioritize numerous matters and have the ability to work independently. The ideal candidate will have the ability to balance the need for further analysis and the need for timely decisions given commercial pressures. The ideal candidate will demonstrate sound understanding of abstract concepts of law and make thoughtful judgment on legal risk decisions. The ideal candidate will continuously demonstrate Barclays’ values.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated expertise on a range of debt and/or trade financing transactions. The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of market standard documentation for bank financings in the US. The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of current market terms and standards, New York contract law and case law impacting trade and debt facilities, and regulations applicable to US financing transactions. The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong commercial and situational awareness, judgment on legal and reputation risk decisions and understanding of when to escalate issues to senior leadership. The ideal candidate must be familiar with key aspects of US bank regulatory, bankruptcy and insolvency laws.
Additionally, it would be an advantage if the candidate has experience with US cash management products and a working understanding of the major US dollar clearing systems and associated rules, regulation and law.
Managerial and leadership experience
The ideal candidate will have experience working collaboratively in a team environment, be able to lead projects and transactions autonomously and have the ability to influence important decisions through reasoned analysis.
The Benefits: Our customers deserve the best. The same goes for our employees. That's why at Barclays you'll receive a range of benefits that include a competitive salary and all the tools, technology and support you need to succeed.
Our Culture: Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. The values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our employees. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer and are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. For more detailed information, please visit our dedicated Diversity and Inclusion site here .
It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Title: Assistant Vice President, Legal - US Corporate Banking
Location: New York-New York City
Requisition ID: *90138762