Best Companion Home Care Services Home Health Aide (F/T & P/T) in Forest Hills, New York
SUPERVISED BY: Registered Nurse
A Home Health Aide is an individual who carries out health care tasks under the supervision of a registered nurse or licensed therapist and who may also provide assistance with personal hygiene, housekeeping, and other related supportive tasks to a client with health care needs in the client's home.
- Home Health Aide Certificate in the State of New York demonstrating successful completion of a New York State Dept. of Health approved Home Health Aide Training Program
- Physical examination at time of hire
- Annual health status report
- Required immunizations and TB testing as per New York State Dept. of Health
- All persons hired are subject to a background check.
- Ability to speak, read and write in English sufficiently to understand and interpret the plan of care, follow directions of a professional registered nurse, document care provided on the Time and Activity report, and able to call the Agency to report changes and/or issues related to the client, and able to call 911 in case of an emergency.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple one- or two-step instructions. Ability to deal with standardized situations with only occasional or no variables.
- Ability to apply prosthetic devices.
- Ability to take and record temperature, blood pressure, and heart rate and measure intake and output.
- Ability to reinforce sterile dressing and change non-sterile dressing.
- Ability to follow the instructions related to exercise and positioning.
- Ability to safely use the Hoyer lift.
- Ability to care for urinary, ostomy and foley catheters.
- Ability to apply warm or cold compress, ace bandage and elastic stockings.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Provides companionship to clients and attend to clients' well-being.
2. Accompany clients outside the home as needed, serving as a guide, companion, and aide, including to doctors' appointments.
3. Perform home management tasks including housekeeping, laundry, shopping and errands.
4. Prepare and serve modified diets according to instruction and assist with feeding as necessary.
5. Assist with bathing, dressing and grooming.
6. Assist with toileting including use of bedpan, commode or toilet.
7. Assist with transfers and ambulation including use of cane, walker, and wheelchair.
8. Assist with medication as specified on each client's plan of care.
9. Provide routine skin care which may include assistance with self-directing clients in applying non-prescription topical medications to skin surface.
10. Measures and records vital signs.
11. Collect routine specimens.
12. Obtain client's weight.
13. Assist self-directing clients in performing maintenance exercise programs, including range-of-motion exercises as provided by a licensed physical therapist.
14. Care for male external catheter, which may include assistance with the emptying of in-dwelling catheter care bag.
15. Assist self-directing clients with use of oxygen equipment.
16. Assist self-directing clients with changing urinary diversion appliances or dressing when the ostomy is mature and stable.
17. Complete all other duties as assigned within the scope or tasks.
18. Observe, record and report to supervisor changes in the condition of client, risks to client's health, complaints from clients and incidents.
19. Accurately record the provision of services.
20. Participate in twelve (12) hours per year of in-service training.
21. Understand and adheres to the Policies & Procedures.
22. Protects and promote the rights of clients.
23. Participate in meetings to coordinate service provision.
24. Ensure that the confidentiality of client health information is maintained at all times.
Driver's License: Preferred
Shifts: All shifts available.