New York City Department of Education Software QA Analyst, DIIT in Brooklyn, New York
Position Summary:The Software QA Analyst is responsible application analysis and testing of DIIT web-based and mobile device systems to ensure continued system infrastructure, data integrity, and system performance and availability. This position will follow the standards, methodologies, processes, and standards of the DIIT Quality Control Group. This technical position is responsible for the development and maintenance of all quality control deliverables, including test cases, test scripts, test procedures, test plans, status reports, traceability matrices, and test reports. Performs related work.
Reports to: Quality Control Manager
Key Relationships: Participates in regular Quality Control Group meetings and project team meetings to review to prioritize requests for enhancements and modifications. Provides status reports to Quality Control Manager, project managers, technical leads, and DIIT Senior Leadership. Assists in conducting systems overviews and training.
- Assists in ensuring the quality and integrity of application/software products, follows group processes and procedures, updates, executes, and completes test plans and user documentation. Specifically:
- actively works with project managers, portfolio managers, and development leads on a regular basis to identify projects and development efforts that may require QC support. Works with a team for evaluating, enhancing and improving existing procedures and processes;
- implements an efficient and scalable Selenium Webdriver framework and with designing multiple types of automation frameworks, including data-driven, modular, and database;
- identifies and writes efficient test automation scripts using Selenium Webdriver. This task is coding scripts and not using simple recording of the UI;
- successfully automates smoke tests and regression test suites;
- reviews peer scripts before they are checked into the test automation library; and
- provides timely and accurate statuses of functional testing activities to the appropriate project team members and DIIT management team members for all assigned projects.
- Completes all assigned functional, regression, performance, and automation tests of applications within the appropriate timeline.
- Develops a Performance Test Plan/Strategy that includes short and long-term test objectives, types of tests required, workload matrix, scenarios, etc. Using the Load Runner tool:
- builds performance test scripts and load projections needed to simulate virtual users;
- builds test execution scenarios for various types of tests such as load, stress, duration/endurance, and runs tests; and
- administers deep-dive and methodic performance degradation diagnostics/troubleshooting and propose viable explanations to the development community.
- Stays current on recent and emerging trends with respect software testing, and evaluates them for implementation at DIIT for continuous process improvement.
- Participates in DIIT’s System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) process improvement initiatives with the Project Management Office and the Application Development teams to provide gap analysis and recommendations for the resolution of issues.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, including or supplemented by 24 semester credits in computer science or a related computer field and two (2) years of satisfactory full-time computer software experience in computer systems development and analysis, applications programming, database administration, maintenance and support, systems programming, data communications, mainframe development, mobile development, web development and design, including one (1) year in a project leader capacity or as a major contributor on a complex project; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and six (6) years of satisfactory full-time computer software experience as described in "1"above, including one (1) year in a project leader capacity or as a major contributor on a complex project; or
- Education and/or experience equivalent to "1"or "2"above. College education may be substituted for up to two (2) years of the required experience in "2"above on the basis that 60 semester credits from an accredited college is equated to one (1) year of experience. A masters degree in computer science or a related computer field, or a certificate of at least 625 hours in computer programming from an accredited technical school (post high school), may be substituted for one (1) year of the required experience in "1"or "2"above. However, all candidates must have at least a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and at least one (1) year of satisfactory full-time experience in a project leader capacity or as a major contributor on a complex project.
- 3 or more years of experience writing and maintaining functional testing for enterprise-level systems.
- 2 or more years of experience in establishing, developing, and maintaining centralized test automation frameworks using Java and Selenium. Experience with Maven is a plus.
- Solid understanding of object oriented language, including data structures, collections framework, and multithreading.
- Experience in building and managing continuous integration using tools such as Jenkins, Bamboo, etc.
- Experience in writing SQL (medium to complex) statements to test data mapping and requirements, and extensive data analysis.
- Experience in various testing methodologies, including Agile, Iterative, and Waterfall. Extensive experience in boundary testing, decision table testing, and state transitions testing.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and aptitude for cross-group collaboration.
- Track record of improving an organization’s data quality through the appropriate choice of error detection, process control and improvement, or process design strategies.
- Experience in testing data warehouses for accuracy, including comparisons of copies of data sources, error detection in data edit event flows, and duplicate record detection.
- Excellent troubleshooting and debugging skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment that includes an aggressive release schedule.
- Ability to work on multiple work streams or projects simultaneously.
- The ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Experience using various test tools, such as Microsoft Team Foundation Server, HP products, SOAP UI, and Visual Studio to manage testing assets.
- Experience in:
- conducting performance testing for browser-based systems on PCs and mobile devices;
- analyzing and assessing performance, scalability, resiliency, serviceability, and availability testing needs of the system under test using HP Load Runner, Jmeter, etc.; and
- conducting performance testing with various reporting and business intelligence technologies, including Cognos, SSIS, and data visualization tools.
- Capability of translating and presenting technical concepts into practical business terms for leaders in both small and large group settings.
- Experience testing systems on mobile devices.
- Business domain experience in the education or municipal government sectors.
- ISTQB or Certified Software Tester (CSTE) certification.
- Proficiency in Java programming concepts, e.g., variable, loop, procedure, function, data types and collections, exceptions and debugging code.
- Candidates with permanent NYC Civil Service status in the Computer Specialist (Software) title or candidates who have taken the most recent Computer Specialist (Software) Civil Service Examination are strongly preferred.
(Internal candidates who are selected for this position and who currently hold comparable or less senior positions within the DOE will not make less than their current salary.)
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application.
Applications will be accepted through July 31, 2017, until 3:00 p.m.
NOTE: The filling of all positions is subject to budget availability.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. Inquiries regarding compliance with this equal opportunity policy may be directed to: Office of Equal Opportunity, 65 Court Street, Room 1102, Brooklyn, New York 11201, or visit the OEO website at http://schools.nyc.gov/OEO
Tracking Code: 12521
Job Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
New Posting: Yes