Breaking Ground Outreach Housing Advocate - S2HBQ in Brooklyn, New York
The Outreach Housing Advocate works with street homeless individuals living in Brooklyn and Queens. Specifically, s/he will conduct street outreach with the objective of engaging individuals to determine their eligibility for Street to Home services and to help secure appropriate housing solutions for all people who are street homeless. If chronic, Outreach Advocate will build a relationship with client utilizing motivational interviewing to encourage client to work towards permanent housing. If not chronic, Outreach Advocate will utilize available resources to secure other housing placements.
Outreach Advocate will work with a partner at all times and will spend the majority of the shift in an automobile conducting street outreach. The incumbent will respond to 311 calls and community concerns; participate in Code Blue and Code Red alerts; identify new hotspots/encampments and work to eradicate existing hot spots/encampments; conduct a bi-annual vulnerability index on all clients in their catchment area; and enter all required data into outreach database(s).
• Engage all persons on the street who appear homeless
• Create and maintain active registry of chronic homeless clients; non-chronic included in registry
• Conduct vulnerability assessment
• Attend clinical supervision and training
• Develop and maintain recordkeeping files and databases, completion of necessary reports and data entry
• Collaborate with Parks Dept, NYPD, DSNY, MTA, and other agencies
• Respond to 311 calls
• Participate in Code Blue/Red
• Monitor encampments
• Performs other related duties as assigned
• Two years related work experience.
• Knowledge of local benefit agencies (Public Assistance). Familiarity with substance abuse, mental health and employment issues. Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• Microsoft Office Suite and electronic record keeping
• Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) preferred
To Apply: www.breakingground.org/careers