Common Ground Harm Reduction Specialist - East Flatbush Safe Haven in Brooklyn, New York
Located in Brooklyn, the East Flatbush Safe Haven serves as a transitional housing program for 110 chronically street homeless individuals. This transitional housing program embraces a housing first and harm reduction philosophy with an aim at helping residents secure appropriate permanent housing. The Harm Reduction Specialist will play a primary role in overseeing all harm reduction programing at the safe haven. Programming responsibility will include Peer-Delivered Syringe Exchange, Mobile Provider Syringe Exchange, in-house group programming, tracking opiate overdose training for staff and clients. They will ensure safe sex education and materials are available to all residents. This individual will be expected to partner with appropriate Harm Reduction Service partners in the community that can provide services to the clients either at the safe haven or in the community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create and manage core Harm Reduction based curriculum at the safe haven.
- Liaison to external Harm Reduction based partners to help coordinate services.
- Coordinate and facilitate groups with clients.
- Assist program leadership in creating trainings for staff that ensure Harm Reduction practices are being taught and exercised by staff.
- Will ensure all staff are aware of needle stick prevention methods and agency policy and procedure around responding to needle sticks.
- Will ensure that there are adequate syringe disposal containers on site that are strategically located throughout the program site, and Will ensure that containers are emptied regularly.
- Will ensure that there are safer sex resources available to clients at all times, and are accessible in common spaces.
- Will liaise with on-site psychiatric and primary care provider, to support treatment planning which includes medications aimed at reducing/eliminating alcohol use.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of (2) years experience with the street homeless population as well as experience working in a Harm Reduction centered program
- Bachelor Degree
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel. Familiarity with Access-based databases and the ability to learn new programs are preferred
- Bilingual Spanish/English is preferred
Job Title: Harm Reduction Specialist - East Flatbush Safe Haven
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Date: 06/15/2017