Breaking Ground Connections Housing Advocate - S2HBQ in Brooklyn, New York
The Connections Housing Advocate works with chronic street homeless individuals living in Brooklyn and Queens. Specifically, s/he will work with the client to deliver comprehensive housing placement and case management services that include but are not limited to obtaining a TB test, securing income (in collaboration with the Entitlements Unit), obtaining identification, completing psychosocial assessments, facilitating psychiatric evaluations, complete the HRA 2010e and other appropriate housing applications, and to secure safe haven, stabilization bed, and ultimately permanent housing placement. Connections Housing Advocate will build a relationship with client utilizing motivational interviewing to encourage client to work towards permanent housing.
• Complete steps necessary to place client into safe haven and/or stabilization bed
• Complete steps necessary for submission of client’s HRA 201oe application
• Escort clients to appointments
• Develop and maintain recordkeeping files and databases, completion of necessary reports, data entry
• Collaborate with the team of other Housing Advocates
• Liaise/collaborate with other service providers/case managers/social workers, etc.
• Performs other related duties
• Two years related work experience.
• Knowledge of local benefit agencies (Public Assistance). Familiarity with substance abuse, mental health and employment issues. Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred, in Social Work or a related field.
• Microsoft Office Suite and electronic record keeping.
• Bi-lingual (English/Spanish)
To Apply: www.breakingground.org/careers