Good Shepherd Services Activity Instructor - Music - After School at P.S. 297 in Brooklyn, New York
Good Shepherd Services is a leading youth development, education and family service agency with more than 85 programs that serve over 30,000 children, youth and families each year. We give vulnerable youth in New York City the opportunity to take ownership of their future. Voted one of the top 100 places to work in NYC by Crain’s New York, Good Shepherd Services offers a fantastic work environment, a collaborative team dedicated to fulfilling our mission, and an amazing array of benefits. Join our team and help make a difference!
Are you looking to make a difference in a child’s life? Do you love helping people reach their full potential? Do you want to feel good about the job you are doing? If you answered yes to all these questions then we want you to join our team! We are looking for a dynamic and compassionateActivity Instructorto teach participants on the music genre of their expertise, follow and integrate the Good Shepherd prescribed curriculum, and prepare students to present their work at the end of each cycle.
Reports to: Program Director, The Stockton Community School 297
Location: 700 Park Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11206
Hours: Up to 25 hours weekly; Non-Exempt
• Provide and teach well planned music classes to participants.
• Identify appropriate resources and create curriculum.
• Submit unit/activity plans in advance.
• Conduct activities enriched with literacy, history and other related academic subjects when applicable.
• Plan and implement a culminating event or project at the end of each cycle.
• Completes daily progress reports.
• Delegate roles & expectations to group leaders and program aides during class time to assist with the facilitation of a group (where applicable).
• Articulate expectations to group leaders and program aides on what aspect of the classwork needs to be strengthened and practiced in preparation for the next class (where applicable).
• Responsible for the setup, operation and clean-up of activities and the organization, inventory and storing of relevant supplies and equipment.
• Attend all staff meetings and staff development training sessions, as specified.
• Guide program participants in examining choices, following directions and becoming involved in program activities.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor Degree preferred.
• Professional experience in teaching dance required.
• Must be able to engage young people and set structure and limits in a group setting.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
General Requirements:All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Good Shepherd Services, which includes involvement in quality improvement activities and a willingness and ability to work within a culturally diverse environment.
Good Shepherd Services is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, participants, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors. We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.
Job Title: Activity Instructor - Music - After School at P.S. 297
Employment Type: Part Time
Date Posted: 06/19/2017
Requisition ID: 2198